Thursday, December 11, 2008

Armageddon, ya'll!

I have sorely neglected this blog.

Anyway, what better way to get back on the horse than with some PPV predictions.

I'm looking strangely forward to Armageddon. I know it's kind of a throw away PPV, but whatever - like I always say a PPV Sunday is always better than a non-PPV Sunday.

So, let's get to it.

Finlay vs. Mark Henry in a Belfast Brawl - this was originally slated to be the Finlay/Hornswaggle vs. Henry/Tony Atlas match that ended up on television Tuesday night. This match is not an exciting prospect, however FInlay is always welcome on my TV. His matches on ECW TV are always stellar and though it's difficult wrestling an opponent like Mark Henry, if anyone is going to make him look good, it's Finlay. I expect a lot of interference and the possible dissolution of the Henry/Atlas alliance which was teased on Tuesday. Finlay gets the win and it doesn't really matter.

Matt Hardy vs. Vladimir Kozlov - Hardy had a way better match with VK than HHH did, which says a lot for Hardy. I'm a huge Hardy mark and think this match would be an awesome win for Matt. Look at it this way, does VK need this match? I'd say no. Sure, he has an undefeated streak but those always end and it's never a big deal when they do especially in this case when the wrestler himself never even mentions it. For a guy like Hardy to end said streak is a bigger story and a bigger rub for someone who deserves it more. Further, a champion shouldn't be jobbing in this match. It's why I hate non-title matches. They're set up for the champ to loose the match, but keep the title. This works for heels, but babies should not hold on to titles in that fashion. I think a win in this match would help Hardy way more than a loss hurts VK. Nevertheless, I think creative keeps the silly streak alive and makes one of their most popular and dedicated superstars look bad in a VK win.

Rey Mysterio (Jr.) vs. CM Punk for a shot at the IC title - Here's a question - so this match will be at a PPV and then Regal defends on free TV? Weird. I love the attention being paid to the IC title, I just hope it doesn't immediately end after this tourney. Having said that, this match could steal the show. I imagine the win goes to Punk and then so does the IC title. Just as a side note, I hope they turn Punk heel.

Batista vs. Randy Orton - Ok. You know how smart fans are always calling for pushes for worthy guys who seem to always get overlooked? It happened with Jericho, Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Edge and now it's happening with Jeff Hardy. Well I've got news for you - this should be happening with Batista. I can't think of a legit draw/main eventer who gets as little respect as Dave Batista. Batista, much like Matt Hardy in the VK match, needs this match more than Orton and I kind of expect creative to do the right thing here and give him the rub which, in one year, will give him victories over Cena and Orton and probably set up Cena/Batista 2 as the main event for WM25.

John Cena vs. Chris Jericho for the World Title - There are two ways to look at this - I love the idea that Jericho can win the World Title from top contenders at any time and further, love the idea that the title does not have to stay on one guy for months and from that perspective I'd like to see Jericho win this. Cena, on the other hand, was tailor made to be a World Champion and being one of the people who actually like Cena, I'd like him to hold it until WM25 for the aforementioned main event with Batista - who, one would hope, could go into the match as a heel. Either way, I'm fine. I'm picking Cena.

HHH vs. Edge vs. Jeff Hardy for the WWE Title - I am among the throng of fans who believe Jeff Hardy is long overdue for a title run and have wanted him to win it since last year's Royal Rumble. Having said that, I don't want him to win this Sunday. Why? Because I want him to win the Royal Rumble and win it at Mania. Unfortunately, I think Jeff is going to win on Sunday. The promo he cut at the Slammys coupled with the fact that he's losing against HHH at tonight's Smackdown "go home" show has convinced me of this. It would make no sense, honestly, for Jeff to go into Mania as the champ which means he'll drop it shortly after getting it which sucks. But, can he afford another loss? If he's not pinned I'd say yes especially if Vickie makes a stip saying that if he doesn't win the Royal Rumble, he can never wrestle for the title again (the "too many chances" angle). That however doesn't work either because then it's basically assured that he'd win the Rumble. Ah, wrestling. It's so complicated. Anyway, I'm reluctantly going with Jeff for the win though I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment