Friday, October 24, 2008

Impact Thoughts

Alright, alright everybody hated Impact last night. I mean everybody. There was very little wrestling and when there was it was pretty bad - with the exception of Awesome Kong vs. Taylor Wilde which was awesome.

I don't know how I feel, really.

Yes, the show stunk. It was really bad. It made last week's Raw look like the Raw when CM Punk won the title from Edge. Well, maybe it didn't, but it made Raw look much better in comparison.

Sure, Foley's "shattering" announcement wasn't all that shattering, but the problem with that was the hype more than the execution. I like the idea of Foley as the boss, I loved it when he as commish in WWE. The big problem here is this feels like a rehash. Foley being the boss is a double edged sword. On one side you've got Mick Foley for god's sake and who can complain about that. Foley is a top five promo guy and even when he's not on the top of his game, like last night, he's still pretty great. But when he is, shit, he's the best in the biz. Remember the promo he cut on Edge the night before he left WWE? Well, I submit that to you as exhibit A.

Having said that, Foley is still going to be a glorified GM and if we've learned anything from the past it's this - babyface GMs are pointless. Which leads me to question, does Foley turn heel and join forces with the newly dubbed main event mafia?

Which brings me to said Main Event Mafia. As a gimmick, I hate it. As this gimmick with these guys on this particular show, I love it.

It's no secret this Vince Russo program is essentially a do-over of what turned out to be a really bad Vince Russo program. WCW had the New Breed vs, The Millionaire's Club which was a disaster, but some are forgetting one very important factor. That program was booked horribly! The Millionaire's Club - the rich, old veterans hell bent on holding the younger talent back were booked as the BABYFACES! This made no sense whatsoever.

This time around it's being done right. The Main Event Mafia are the heels, though I suspect Sting is going to try his damndest to straddle that line as much as he can. Further, there aren't fifteen people in the MEM, just five (counting Sharmel) and none of them are named Jim Duggan, Randy Savage, Lex Luger, Sid Vicious, Hulk Hogan or DDP.

No, the MEM are actually quite a force. Both Sting and Kevin Nash were in the original Millionaire's Club - but, right now Sting is playing pretty close to the top of his game. Sure, he can't work the ring like he used to, but his promos have been great and when Sting is good everyone's good. As far as Nash - he's definitely the weakest in-ring performer of the four, but he also has the most personality. I've never soured on Nash because of that charm and when it's being used for evil, I like it even more.

Which leaves Kurt Angle and Booker T. I happen to be a huge Booker T. fan. Book can get anyone over (case in point - The Boogeyman. Boogey's feud with Book has been the only positive thing he has done in WWE and it was all Book). Booker runs with whatever gimmick he's given and if he can get this Idi Amin thing over, then there is nothing the man can't do. Plus, he's still solid in the ring and can work with anyone.

Kurt Angle really seems like he may be a crazy person. I can't tell. Is this whole UK Sun/Jarret's wife thing a work? No one seems to think so, therefore I am falling on the side of crazy. But, you've gotta love that about him. He's unpredictable and intense as hell and he is, without a doubt, one of the best workers in professional wrestling.

I'm not 100% this will work and I have to say I'd like to see Christian in the MEM with these guys, but not because he's forced to be. Rather because I love him as a heel and I like that he gets the respect of even being asked in the first place. It does seem like this feud is these four guys vs. Joe and AJ which is not great. There need to be some more guys thrown into this mix and Abyss, by the by, is not the guy. I'd love to see Jay Lethal thrown in here and maybe even Matt Morgan.

Is it groundbreaking and brilliant? Not really. Does it have the potential to be entertaining? I think so. I like the talent involved and I like that they're all actually on the same page rather than just talking about being on the same page. Plus, it's been a long time since we've had a fun stable in pro wrestling and I've been waiting for one.

Is this it? We'll see.


Will I continue to ask questions and then immediately answer them? Absolutely!

No comments:

Post a Comment